BRP, in cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, has recalled approximately 1,600 Can-Am Outlander and Renegade ATVs. According to the recall notice, the Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) main shaft can crack and pieces can detach. Those pieces inside the DPS can block gears and cause limited steering ability.

BRP has received two reports of broken DPS resulting in limited steering ability. No injuries have been reported.

This recall involves 2010 and 2011 Can-Am Outlander and Renegade model ATVs. The ATVs were sold in black, yellow and red and have “Can-Am” and the model name printed on the side panels. Models included in the recall are:

Model Year 2010: Can-Am Outlander 500, 650 and 800R, packages XT, XT-P and Ltd; on MAX and one-Up models Can-Am Renegade 800R, package X xc only

Model Year 2011: Can-Am Outlander 500, 650, 800R, packages XT, XT-P, X xc, X mr and Ltd; on MAX and one-Up models Can-Am Renegade 800R package X xc only

The recalled ATVs were manufactured in Mexico and sold exclusively at Can-Am dealerships nationwide between September 2009 and November 2011 for between $6,800 and $13,500.

Consumers are being asked to stop using the recalled ATVs and contact their local Can-Am ATV dealer to schedule a free repair. BRP will contact registered owners directly.

Related

Popular

Find a ATV Dealer near you

Enter your ZIP code below to search for ATV dealers near you.

13 Comments

rkc05 says:

I am glad if there is a problem there is a recall issued. I do however find it very peculiar that 1600 of the 10/11 models are affected and the picture that is posted with the article is the NEW Outlander generation two chassis that only came out a few months ago and is a 2012 Model, someome should get the right picture to go with the article.

Lucas Cooney says:

We used that particular Outlander image because that was the one the CPSC used in the recall notice (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12709.html). However, you make a fine point. We’ll swap it out for a 2011 image.

rkc05 says:

It is good that they issue a recall but why the picture of the 2012 Outy Gen2 chassis that has nothing to do with the recall?

rkc05 says:

Sorry about my somewhat double post earlier, I must have missed my first post when I looked. Also thank you for updating the pic.

Bill Tucker says:

why is the recall so specific to the color of Outlander, i have the silver painted model 800R XT-P does this mean i can ignore the recall….. just want to be sure.

David Dallas says:

i like can am but time and time again the frame is the main thing why i do not buy 1 every 4wheeler magazine says its a weak frame and bad design  so i go with what i see and what the pro’s say no can am 4 me till they get a better frame!

Tyson Bunker says:

It’s surprising news that BRP has recalled ATVs due to power steering issue. I will follow your post for some more information.

Don Knox says:

I too have a 2010 Outlander limited and just developed the same intermittent problem with the steering. It was steering the opposite way I was turning and the check DPS light came on. I have found that it is a power supply problem . When I turn all the accessories off the problem goes away and when I turn them on again the problem comes back. I called BRP and they will not cover it under warranty nor will they tell me what the fix is ,unless I am a dealer. This machine should have been a recall because it is a safety issue and very dangerous to drive in critical situations when you count on the steering to be there. The part that gets me is this is a known Product fault and Brp only chooses to cover some of the machines. Whats with that! Do the rest of us just fall off the edge of a cliff because they don’t want to fix a known problem with there product.n If anyone knows what the fix is could they please let me know! Thanks Don Knox

Duke says:

Just bought a 2011 can am outlander max xtp in Jan 2012 and I too am experiencing the same power steering problems. I am getting the run around from the dealer and can am even though I am under the 6month warranty. Has anyone sought legal action for product liability???

Email this article to a friend

x